1.06.2011

Paint a wall mural

A dear friend of mine called me up for a little room make-over.  After moving into their new house, her daughter's bedroom needed something special.  The challenge was that her little princess was adamant about having pink walls.  "I'm not the biggest fan of gender specific paint colors." she said, "I've seen one too many kids rooms that just look tacky."  I couldn't agree more.  The shade of color chosen could either make or break any room, never mind if the wrong color just happens to be pink!  But for a little girl who loves butterflies and princesses, how could I say no?  So I went to work trying to figure out what I could do to girly up the space on a tight budget.  Basically for the price of paint.  My solution?  Paint a wall mural.
The feature wall was a boring, standard issue cream before.  Thank goodness for handy husbands!  My friend's hubby did all the prep work for me and painted the walls the pink color I chose.  (Benjamin Moore - Ballerina Pink)
I decided to paint a tree and some birds.  I could use one color (Benjamin Moore - Townsend Harbor Brown) to match the existing furniture, and it was a design that took up a lot of wall space.  I also figured it wouldn't go out of style too quickly until my pint-sized client decided that pink was so-last-year and wanted her walls to be purple...  The tree branches also allowed me to frame out where the bed would be located when all the furniture was moved back in place.
A little kids coat rack by the door for storage and a birdie above the door.

Painting leaves...  Lots and lots of leaves


Finished wall with the bed underneath the big branch.

This was a super easy, one day project to add interest to a kids room without spending a lot of money.  Happy mural-ing.


1 comment: