1.03.2011

Mega Millions

I don't play the Lotto.  I do occasionally glance at the electronic sign whenever I drive by the local liquor store.  I do fantasize about my life without any financial worries.  Debts paid off, a house that doesn't leak or isn't compromised structurally by termites, a car without squeaky brakes, a museum-like collection of purses, an around the world trip, private school for my future children...  Then I remind myself of the odds of winning. One in like, a kajillion, and so I never stop to buy a ticket.  "Imagine what a buck could do?" my ass I tell myself reluctantly.  Times are tough.  I need that buck.  The holidays didn't help because I always feel obligated.  Yes, we promised to only buy one present for our "secret santa" family member (capped at $50) but inevitably, I just had to buy a little something for this person, that person and their kids...  That's why I'm the one that always gets in trouble every month when the credit card bills need to be paid.
So, what would I do with a windfall of 330 Million dollars?  (That's what it's up to today.  I checked on my way home from grabbing my overpriced coffee.)  I don't know.  I would probably die of shock.  I get excited when I have a $100 bill in my wallet let alone the bank account of a millionaire.  I asked my husband what he would you do if he won the MEGA?  His answer was kind of expected because he's practical, but still, it was so unromantic that I felt a little disappointed that he didn't want to participate in my frivolous game.  "I'll tell you what I'd do... I'd pay f-ing taxes on it.  Then I'd invest it in stocks, bonds, REITS, precious metals and real estate.  Then we'd live off the interest that the bonds would generate."
Right.  That's exactly what I was thinking too!  NOT.  I love to bits, my financially responsible husband.  We don't have much, but he makes it so we are smart about what we have.
It's 2011!  It's gonna be a good year, I know it, I can feel it.  I didn't make a list of new year's resolutions this time around...  I never stick to them anyway.  Eat less crap and go to the gym more is really ridiculous with my stubbornness and lack of self control.  If I want to eat something, I don't think twice, I eat it.  If I don't want to feel the burn, I stay at home and vegetate.  But with this unwavering feeling of beginning-of-the-year good fortune, I think I'm going to play the lotto later today.  I'm gonna change things up a bit.  Become a gambler for the day.  If we win, and I know we will, my husband can grudgingly pay taxes on our winnings bringing it all down to a measly 170 million and invest the rest in bonds and REITS and whatever else he wants.  And maybe with some of the interest that our bonds have generated, I will buy a purse or two for my collection, that is, if I don't die first from the shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment