3.14.2012

The Nursery

Have not posted in a while.  Mainly because we are expecting our first child in June!  It's an exciting times for the husband and I.  Though I was not so excited about making our shoebox of a house even smaller when we started discussing a nursery.  We only have so much space in the house and there are basically only two rooms...  That meant taking the "bedroom" and erecting a wall which bisects the room, making it even smaller.  But hey, we had to work with what we've got.

I was not deluded into thinking we would get any kind of sound barrier between the two spaces so I decided to use two closet doors and some rolling, wall mounted hardware to create a larger opening rather than just a regular 3'-0" door opening.  The baby's room is long and narrow.  Kind of like a bowling alley, but it does have one window for some natural light.  I am not really into gender specific nursery colors so I opted for a gray pallet.  Bengie Moore's Portland Gray for the main wall color in both the existing bedroom and the nursery.  Somehow, with the light that comes into that space, the walls look lavender at times.  Oops.  I guess I could have had it repainted, but in the end, I just didn't really feel like inhaling paint fumes for two more days so I opted to live with what we got.  The trim in the bedroom is Elephant Gray and the trim in the nursery is Habanero Pepper.  I also painted a little mural where the crib is supposed to live to match the Dwell Studio bedding that I chose.  The wall opposite the crib wall has bold, 15" Habanero Pepper stripes to add a little life to the space.  All in all, the one week project turned out quite nice considering neither the ceiling nor the floor were level.  Of course the baby is not going to care what his room looks like.  It's basically all just to please my eyes, but since we decided on doing some renovations to the house, I figured it might as well look the way I want it to, right?  Next up, doing a little rewiring of light fixtures, then on to the bathroom and kitchen remodel.  Admittedly, we have not done much of anything in terms of renovation to this house because it has always been in the back of our minds that it is "just a tear-down."  Well, 8+ years later and the ups and down in the economy, times and circumstances have changed.  We still think it's a "tear-down" but it looks like we will be here for another 1 1/2 to 2 years, so might as well spend a little money and make it livable with a kid.  More to come...


Framing and header for the 6'-0" opening.


Drywall up.

Wiring for new light switches and outlets.


Angel putting in the insulation.

The tiny bowling alley.

Other side where the crib will be...


Angel measuring out my stripes.

Frog Tape is a must if you don't paint to bleed!

Yeay!  Stripes!

My tools for the mural wall.

Blank Canvas.


Painting the first few buildings.






Finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment