3.19.2012

Men's Fashion 2012


I am not a fashionista.  I haven't the slightest inkling on what the latest and greatest for women's fashion is, let alone men's fashion this season or the past umpteen seasons for that matter.  Unless I am religious about keeping up with my fashionable friend's blogs, which I am guiltily not, I don't think I even know what the IT color was for fall/winter 2011/2012.
It's spring 2012 already and I just don't know how people keep up.  The last time I looked through a fashion magazine was the last time I got my nails done which was about a month ago and the magazine was a couple months old...  And all I remember reading about was how to de-frizz frizzy hair and the newly discovered "superfood".  I didn't retain a single mental image of the glossy pictures of the then, latest runway styles.  (Note to self: Get a mani/pedi pronto.  Your cuticles look horrendous)
Home design is different from fashion.  There are certain classics that stand the test of time.  It is less fleeting in my opinion.  Yes, there are hot new trends, but I find these trends last slightly longer than the hot new trends in clothing.
Interestingly though, lately with the influx of fashion designers running lines of home goods within their ateliers', home fashion is trying to keep up with the ever evolving seasonal clothing trends.  Designers are using patterns and inspirations from their clothing lines as upholstery patterns for "dressing" furniture and they are definitely taking into consideration the season's colors to create a pretty exciting buzz in the interiors world.
I've noticed when I read all my interior magazines each month, how often clothing designers are featured in their stylish homes wearing their latest creations, no doubt wearing their signature scent, sitting on their new line of club chairs and surrounded by their new line of tchotchkes, knickknacks and baubles.  Maybe the lines are getting blurred between the two worlds and all I have to do is keep up with the interiors trends and I will not be too far behind on fashion trends...  Think the Jean-Paul Gaultier + Roche Bobois collaboration.
Limited edition interiors line from Basso & Brooke
But I digress.  (Wow, that was a tangent I wasn't planning on going down...)

So anyway, I will not even pretend that the contents of my own closet is worth describing (so I won't), but I was folding laundry last night and looking at the husband's clothes and was like, "W T F..."  I actually said the words, not the letters out loud.
I never really "looked" at my husband's wardrobe.  Obviously I see him wearing clothes on a daily basis, but I have never really taken a mental inventory or pondered his personal style.  When it comes to the husband's clothes, I simply wash them, fold them and put them away.  (This is my life after being married for 5 years and being with the same man for over 15...  Kinda pathetic, but at the same time, it shows I love what is on the inside and not his clothes...right?)
I don't know what prompted me to suddenly stop and actually look at what I was folding.  Maybe it was the fact that I had just created a stack of 6 (count six) Libiano Construction t-shirts and stacked each one on top of the other and realized that means that 6 out of 7 days last week, my husband wore the SAME frickin' t-shirt everyday.  And this scenario is on perpetual repeat, week after week after week.  (sad...)

Also within the pile on the bed were:
a faded polo shirt (at least 5 years old)
a zip-up hoodie sweatshirt from his Alma Mater
a huge stack of gym clothes
there was a hole in the heels of 4 out of 9 pairs of socks  (double sad...)
khaki pants, khaki shorts, khaki cargo pants, more khaki shorts... snore... what?  huh?

My poor hubby.  I know he so does not care about his clothes, how old and tattered they are, or how bla- and boring they appear, as long as they are comfortable on him.  But I felt like I wanted a major over-haul/makeover for him and I went to bed feeling bad about the state of his un-fashionable closet, made worse when I hugged him goodnight and my fingernail got caught in a hole in his t-shirt.
Seriously?  I do not have holes in my clothes unless they were put there on purpose.  Not that I like being wasteful, but when there is a hole that is past mend-ability it's not even worth packing up for Goodwill.  Throw that shit away!  That goes for the socks with holes too!  I would understand if it was a $400 wool sweater that a moth ate a hole in.  That would be a bummer, but it's a t-shirt and socks.  Go get new ones!   Am I a bad wife?  Why did I just ignore this state of affairs until now?
So, I got up this morning and was still feeling guilty and very curious about men's fashion these days since I know nothing about it, so I typed 'Men's Fashion 2012' in Google Images and was kind of shocked.  Yes, there were some nice things but most of it was along the lines of:
Amish pants
Preppy, preppy prep-school.
Remember boys, socks are a 'No-no.'
A Kilt around the neck, loose ties + pocket squares are a 'Yes.'
More prep with structured man purse.  BTW, nice legs.
There's that kilt wrapped around the guy's neck again!
Except this guy is ready for a hike in the Alps.
Hey... I have that sweater in Navy!
Wait, and that strip-y tank top and those pants...
And my FAVORITE...
???

I can't stop chuckling.  I mean, REALLY?  Who wears that shit?  I mean COME ON with the Emilio Cavallini Men Stockings.  The closest thing the husband has to those are his Patagonia thermals that he wears under his snowboarding pants.  Sans the 'striking' skull pattern of course.
I get that if you are 21 and your physique is all washboard abs and Euro-skinny, chiseled cheekbone model guy, you could wear a potato sack with the potatoes still in it and look like a million.  It's the same with female models.  When you are a living, breathing hanger, everything looks uber-fabulous.
But let's be realistic and look at the subject here.  My husband is in his late 30's, 6'-4", +225 lbs. and built like the former football player that he was.  If he even tried to squeeze himself into any of the outfits above, he would look like a total jack-hole.
Is there nice, comfortable 'fashion' for a beefy 'guys-guy' like mine?  Is he resigned to wearing XXL Polo shirts, University zip-up hoodies and Libiano Construction T-shirts forever?  Is there an ensemble that looks classy and does not scream douche-bag trying to look younger/hipper than he is?  Just something that reflects his personality and does not look like he is trying to be something that he is not...  And when are skinny jeans for dudes going to fade out of existence?

2 comments:

  1. Nice writing Kayo! I know it's obscenely late, but thank you so much for the holiday card. It was a wonderful surprise to receive.

    As for clothing for your guy, try checking out Unis, based out of NYC: http://unisnewyork.com/

    Clean lines and kind of an urban look. They recently opened their LA shop on La Brea. Could be worth checking out.

    Another suggestion is Saturdays, surf meets city: http://www.saturdaysnyc.com/category/apparel

    Cheers,
    O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oliver!!!
      Thanks for the wonderful suggestions and for touching base!
      I truly miss all my old friends from Architecture School... It has been years but I still remember things that we laughed about like it was yesterday... I hope all is well with you. Are you still taking amazing photographs?
      xoxo,
      Kayo

      Delete