3.23.2012

Chinese Zodiac




The Japanese have incorporated the Chinese Zodiac into their history and culture so not that I really believe in signs, but I am always intrigued by the truths that are foretold.  Probably because I grew up hearing the old wive's tales from my mom...

We used to chant together: "Ne-Ushi-Tora-Uuu-Tatsu-Mi-Uma-Hitsuji-Saru-Tori-Inu-Iii"
(Those are the 12 animals of the zodiac in order of how they won the Jade Emperor's great race...)

My mother was born in the year of the dog.  My father in the year of the boar.  My sister was born in the year of the mouse and I in the year of the horse.  According to my mother, we all have classic traits bestowed upon us by our animal counterparts.  Before she passed away, I distinctly remember her asking me what animal the then boyfriend, now husband was, and when I told her 'tiger', she seemed pleased.  "Hmmm, that is a good match.  It makes sense because his traits are very much in line with the tiger."  Whatever...  I'm sure if I had said monkey, she would have said, "Hmmm, yes, that is a good match.  I can see why he looks and acts like a monkey."  Or something totally predictable like that.

Oh, Mom.  I miss her voice, her prophasizing and story telling.

In any case, I was organizing digital files today and randomly came across these photos from a LACMA trip we took last fall (2011) to see the Tim Burton exhibit.  These sculptures (Circle of Animals / Zodiac Heads) by Chinese contemporary artist Ai Weiwei are unfortunately no longer on display at LACMA, but they got me to thinking...

This year (2012), being the year of the Dragon, will our son have all the traits of a classic dragon?

My sister the little mouse

My husband the tiger

Me, the horse
Our little baby boy to be - classic dragon?

No comments:

Post a Comment